Garden Fresh Strawberries and a Sunshine Strawberry Cake





Garden Fresh Strawberries!  Are you kidding me?
These strawberries are absolutely amazing.
Yes, I suppose I'm bragging a bit here, but really, they turned out so sweet this year.
Yummy.  I made a fresh strawberry cake the other day and was asked to share the recipe on my blog.
~BUT~
I apologize for not posting a snapshot of the cake.
I completely forgot until the cake was sliced and almost gone!
I will make it again soon and try to do a better job of remembering.
But here is the recipe anyway... :)
Enjoy!


Sunshine Strawberry Cake
2 1/2 cups flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup crisco
----------------------------------
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup fresh strawberries


Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Add 3/4 cup milk and crisco.
Beat 2-3 minutes until smooth.


Add eggs, 1/2 cup milk, vanilla and strawberries.
Beat 2-3 minutes more.


Makes 2- 9" round or 1- 13x9
Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour.


Frosting:
1/4 cup crisco
1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt


In a saucepan on low heat, melt crisco. 
Remove from heat and stir in milk, vanilla, powered sugar and salt.
Pour in mixing bowl and add strawberries.
Beat until smooth and creamy.
Add an extra teaspoon of milk if needed.
Spread generously on cake and chill.