Week 1 Homework | Breaking Free


Welcome to the blog girls! 
I am so looking forward to studying with you!
Just so you know ahead of time.  I won't be 'quoting' a lot of the homework questions.  What I will do is simply refer to them in a numbered order and you can follow along in your book.
To avoid confusion, this post (week 1 homework) will remain the same post for all 5 days.
Introduction Video...

Note Card Verse:
2 Corinthians 10:4
I have been given the divine power to demolish strongholds!
At the end of each day I will list a couple of memory card verses if you would like to jot them down.
~Melanie

Day 1
After Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. 2 Chronicles 26:16
So how did your first day of homework go?  Not all that bad, Right?
Don't forget you are welcome to leave comments or questions. 
Simply click on the title of post and scroll to the bottom.

1.Order of Kings
1. Uzziah
2. Jotham
3. Ahaz
4. Hezekiah

2. Prophetess
was the name of Isaiahs wife according to Isaiah 8:3.

3. Uzziah 'the Lord is my strength'
He was 16. As long as he sought the Lord, God gave him success.

4. Uzziah was a admired by many
Isaiah knew the history of his father's reign.  He was admired and repected because of his great army that made the kingdom secure.

5. Pride

6. Uzziah became prideful
his fame caused him to be powerful, and stopped him seeking the Lord for strength.

7. Uzziah got a big head
power caused him to want to control and set himself on the same level as the priests.
Well,  He wanted to be on their level.

8. All of the above.

9.  God hates pride.
Pride is when we put ourselves in control of our lives, putting ourselves before God.  Ultimately it will destroy us.

10. Your thoughts on how to avoid temptation of pride?
We must prayerfully, keep our faith strong and without a doubt know we cannot do anything without him!

Note Card Verse:
Proverbs 8:14
Counsel and sound judgement are mine;  I have understanding and power.

2 Chronicles 26:5
Seek the Lord and he will give me success!
................................................
Day 2

In the year that King Uzziah died,  I saw the LORD seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple.  Isaiah 6:1

1. Similarities and Differences
They both became powerful because they walked with God.
However, Uzziah became prideful, giving credit to himself for all he has accomplished, which led to leprosy.
Jotham reigned powerfully and conquered kingdoms.  He remained steadfast with the Lord, but failed to control his own people.

2. Learning from the mistakes of others?
Do we truly learn from the mistakes of others.  Maybe, and especially maybe if our parents made mistakes.  We all make mistakes there is certainly not one perfect.  It is human nature to try and live a better life than we were given as a child.....'better' refering to mistakes that we certainly do not want to make as adults.

3. Corrupt

4. Many words could be used here. 
I chose Glorious!

5. Unclean Lips

6. Here I am! Send me!
It was obvious to Isaiah the Lord was expecting an answer directly from him.  He was so astonshed by the Lords sight he jumped at the chance to grab ahold of his calling!

7. Loss of a hero?
I personally have not experienced death of a loved one in my life.
I certainly have experienced loss of relationship with family.
However if I were to choose a loved one that has been a hero in my life.  It would be my dear Grandma who passed at a full age of 93!  There are not words to describe a God fearing woman like her.  She was a powerful mentor to me throughout my childhood 'before teen years.'

8. What does it mean when:
Oswald Chambers said 'until the life is faced steadily with God and no one else is of any account whatever?
Until we are serving and living our lives with God as our ultimate mentor.
We must make God our constant, reassurance, ultimate motivater. 
I choose to seek him to boost my confidence, not people.

9. Change of plans? Focus?
I remember like it was yesterday the first time I actually took a step out of myself and decided to let God have complete control!  I used to prepare what to say every time I was speaking or leading a group of ladies.  I mean even to the prayer I would close with.  It had to be perfect, a perfect home run every time.  I had no idea how this was stressing me out and literally side tracking what God had intended for me to do.  I may have gotten the result I wanted.  Just not exactly what the Lord had in mind.  He made me aware, I was trying to please them not him.  I was trying to think of things to say I knew they wanted to hear.  At that moment, a sense of peace surrounded me and I was absolutely full of confidence in him to give me the words to say.
John 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches. 
If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing!

10. remove the high places

11. Respond to what you learned today.
He gives me the assurance I need.  I look to him to boost my confidence.
Rather than the assurance of my peers.

Note card verse:
My guilt has been taken away and my sin atoned for. Isaiah 6:7
To know that truth is exciting....makes me jump up and down and yell...
Here am I, Send me!
------------------------------------------------
Day 3
Whew!  That was a couple of 'big' days.  Lots of reading and study!  I hope you are all still hanging in there and not discouraged.  The first week in always the 'longest', then after adapting to a routine and daily study time it gets easier.  I have to admit it took me two days to complete these.  Hence, why I'm posting both days of homework tonight!  :)

 He offered sacrifices and burned incense at the high places, on the hilltops and under every spreading tree.
2 Chronicles 28:4

1.  He made cast idols for worshiping the Baals.
He burned his sons in the fire as sacrifices.
He offered sacrifices and burned incense at the high places.
He walked in the ways of the kings of Israel.

2. He allowed them to be defeated in battle.

3. 2 Chronicles 28:9-11
They slaughtered them out of rage.  They took them as slaves.

4. 2 Chronicles 28:13-15
They clothed them and gave tehm sandals food and drink and healing balm.  The weak were put on donkeys.

5.  King of Assyria

6. Seek the Lord!

7. Isaiah 7
vs. 11 The Lords says ASK
vs. 12 He Refused to ASK
vs. 9 Reminds us that if we do not stand firm in our faith, we will not stand at all.

8. Ahaz looked to another King for help.  He had an issue with all of them.  Seeking favor of the people rather than the Lord.

8. We are mere humans, full of incompetence. 
Seeking gratification and comfort.  Human nature is comforted by the acceptance of others.

9. We serve a patient God.
2 Peter 3:9
He doesn't want anyone to perish, but come to repentance.

10.  Jotham didn't remove them.

11.  He rebuilt the high places, worshiped idols, sacrificed his sons, practiced sorcery, witchcraft, paid no attention when the Lord spoke to him.  He wanted to be in control of his life every step of the way.
In 2 Chronicles 33:12 Manasseh is taken into captivity...and while in his distress he started seeking the Lord and the Lord released him and renewed him to King.  He got rid of all idols and sorcery.  The high places became a place of sacrifice to the Lord.

12. Listen
He should've listened to the Lord the first time.

13. Captivity
has a way of getting our complete attention like the ring in a bulls nose!  That is exactly what happened to him when he was put into captivity!

14. A person no matter family or friend. 
They have to do their own accepting, agreeing and changing.  We cannot do that for them.  Only the Lord can.  All we can do is pray and do the best we can to lead by example!

15. Isaiah 7:12 
He tells the Lord, "I will not ask, I will not put the Lord to the test."

16.  My response: 
I will make sure I have my quiet time daily so I can Listen to God's still quiet voice.

17. 2 Corinthians 4:7
But we have treasure in jars of clay to show that this, all-surpassing power is from God and not from us!
I'm gonna use the Message bible to paraphrase this verse:
If you only look at us, you might well miss the brightness.  We carry this precious Message around in the unadorned clay pots of our ordinary lives.  That's to prevent anyone from confusing God's incomparable power with us.

Note Card Verses:
2 Corinthians 4:7
I have treasures in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us!

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise.  He is patient and wants everyone to come to repentance!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Day 4
Isaiah 39:5-6 Hear the word of the LORD Almighty: 
The time will surely come when everything in your palace, and all that your fathers have stored up until this day, will be carried off to Babylon.  Nothing will be left, says the LORD.

1. 2 Chronicles 29:10
He made a covenant with the Lord, so that the Lord's anger would trun from the people.
29:30 He ordered the people to worship the Lord
30:9 The Lord our God is gracious and compassionate

2. Hezekiah destroyed the high places and Jotham did not.

3. He used fear and intimidation.
For sure he spoke to them like they were not worthy of his breath so yes, I'm sure they were scared stiff.
But more than that ........
He tried to undermine their faith.
He sought to cause them to distrust God.

4.  They cried out in prayer to the heavens.

5. Isaiah 38
Just a few things out of many possible answers...
-felt he had been robbed of the rest of his years.....
-all he has worked for is gone......
-prayed "Lord come to my aid!"

6. Praise God!

7. His heart was proud-
he didn't respond to the kindness the Lord showed him.

8. King of Babylon

9. A prideful heart;
he took joy in showing off his treasures to his visitors!

10. Personal pride and Flaunting possessions
new car, a house, new boat, property, vacations, ect.
Anything girls that we may do or have that places us in a position of 'better than'.

11.  He knew that he lived by example-
He accepted the fact his decendants may not always keep his example.
"There will be peace and security in my lifetime."

12. Pride....Attack of the enemy
The more we intend to walk with the Lord-the harder the enemy works to knock us down!

13. My Response:
I will prayerfully ask God to reveal to me any hidden areas of pride in my life.

Note card verses:
2 Chronicles 32:1
I can be faithful to God and still be attacked by the enemy!
Isaiah 30:9
The Lord my God is gracious and compassionate!
---------------------------------------------
Day 5
Isaiah 61:1
The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.  he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.

1. Personal

2. Comfort, Comfort my people, says your God!

3. suffering

4. their cries

5. temptation in the desert, 40 days

6. in the power of the Spirit
Sometimes it is necessary to ask the spirit to give us the power to fulfill our duties, just to get through our day.  No matter how tired, worn out we are.  Ask the spirit to empower us with the energy we need.

7. freedom

8. preach good news to the poor
bind up the brokenhearted
proclaim freedom for the captives
release prisioners from darkness
comfort all who mourn
bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes
garment of praise instead of despair

9. Personal

10. examples of bondage
abuse, neglect, past failures, brokenhearted........

11. Respond
I loved this lesson, my heart is full of thankfulness that I am free because of Christ!
Freedom is mine through Christ, he already forgave me.  However, it is up to me through the power of the Spirit to forgive myself!!

Note card verses:
Jeremiah 17:9 The Message
The heart is hopelessly dark and decietful,
a puzzle that no one can figure out.
But I, God, search the heart,
and examine the mind.
I get to the heart of the human.
I get to the root of things.
I treat them as they really are,
not as they pretend to be.

Galatians 5:11
It is for freedom that Christ has set me free!
Stand firm! Don't be burdened again by the yoke of slavery.

Psalm 102:18
Let this be written for a future generation,
that a people not yet created may praise the LORD!

What a full five days of study we have had!
See you tomorrow morning girls.
~Melanie