Duty or Delight? Week 1

I find the opening scripture to this study perfectly fitting.  Ephesians 1:4, to know that He chose me before the foundation of the world speaks volumes.  I pray it does to you as well, if not hang in there over the next few weeks and cherish all Jesus has in store for you.

"One thing is certain.  You're going to learn how to put your foot down and stop putting up with what you've been putting up with.  It's time for the condemnation to stop.  It's time for the guilt to stop.  It's time for all those false expectations to stop. It's time you enjoyed your God!"
-Tammie page 12

Our study takes us through four pitfalls this week.

1. our twisted theology
Phillipians 1:6 Jesus pursues us. He will bring the work he started in us to completion!
remember the old saying, not my timing, his perfect timing.  so hard to grasp at times.  but so rewarding in the close of that season and the journey with Jesus repeats to a new season.  Until the day of Christ Jesus.


2. our insecurity
Tammie refers to our scripture cards as 'confidence boosters'. Start working on memorizing number 1. Ephesians 1:4 {chosen before the foundation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight}
how'd I do? :)

Let's relish on who the Lord is:
gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.
good to all, everlasting, endures through all generations, trustworthy, faithful,
upholds all who fall, satisfy desires, near to all who call on him.
Psalm 145:8-9, 13-20 

3. our fear

Let us be fearless and confident knowing who we are in christ.

4. our shame
an old hymn, just as I am, really says it all on how truth will set us free from shame.
it's a long poem, but a good one, if you can stand just a bit more reading please read...

Just as I am - without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
-O Lamb of God, I come!
Just as I am - and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
-O Lamb of God, I come!
Just as I am - though toss'd about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
-O Lamb of God, I come!
Just as I am - poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find,
-O Lamb of God, I come!
Just as I am - Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
-O Lamb of God, I come!
Just as I am - Thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down;
Now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
-O Lamb of God, I come!
Just as I am - of that free love
The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Here is the link to session one by Tammie.

Enjoy, ~Melanie
Duty or Delight - by Tammie Head - Lifeway Christian Resources