My 2010 Resolutions | Part 1


Glory to God this Monday morning,


I am truly beside myself this morning as I type the first post to my very first self-written bible study! 

Bare with me as I have some outlined notes, but I have been known to jump on another page before I'm supposed to.  When that happens and I'm sure it will, hang in there, I'll get back eventually. :)

These are literally the verses the Lord led me to after he powered down my computer on new years morning.  I will never forget that as long as I live.

The words He spoke to me so clearly; "Start today living a life of faithfulness to the Lord."

Do this and Walk in Truth Melanie!  I cannot think of a better way to start the new year, can you?  I read these verses and made them my new year prayer for 2010.

Heavenly Father,

This New Year's morning I lift up my soul,

Show me your ways,

Teach me your paths,

Guide me in your truth and teach me,

For you are God my Savior, (Ps 25:1,4-5)

All Your words are true! (Ps 119:60)

I speak of Your faithfulness. (Ps 40:10)

O Lord, examine my heart and mind,

For Your love is ever before me,

I will walk continually in Your truth.(Ps 26:2-3)

Give me an undivided heart,

that I may fear Your name. (Ps 86:11)

I put my hope in You,

All year long! (Ps 25:5b)

Amen.

That prayer is what started my new year all day journey with Him.

To dissect these verses a bit, let's look at Ps 25:1....To lift up my soul means to literally submit myself wholeheartedly to the Lord.   In verse 4....this is asking for guidance in God's will for my life.  Verse 5 we land on the topic of our first resolution for 2010.  The hebrew word in this verse for truth is 'emeth', which means faithfully, assured, established, sure of ones self.  The following verses all use the same hebrew word...Ps 26:3,119:60, 86:11. To be sure of ones established faith we must be established in His word.  Romans 10:17 says that "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God!" KJV So if we are to search and study His word then we must believe all "His words are true." Ps 119:60. 

I just love Psalm 86:11 NIV

Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth. Give me an undivided heart that I may fear your name!   I urge you to speak these words outloud over yourself and watch the Lord work.

The next couple of verses uses a slight different definition of our topic, truth. This word literally turns our truth 'emeth': faithfully, assured, established, sure....to 'emunah' which has a slight more powerful impact to our discussion..'emunah' means security, secure, sability, faithfulness, honesty!  The following verses use the hebrew word 'emunah' rather than 'emeth'.

I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;

I speak of your faithfulness (truth)

I do not conceal your love and your truth

May your love and your truth always protect me.

Psalm 40:10-11 NIV

O righteous God, who searches mind and hearts and makes the righteous secure!

There are two completely different words used here for righteous.  A righteous God who is perfect, and the righteous He perfects....us ..... God's people, those who honor God and order their lives in all things according to His will. 

And how exactly do we get our lives in order with Gods will.  By listening to His still, quiet voice in prayer and by reading the word!  The process may seem slow just know that God's timing is perfect, for He is a patient God and He will get us through all we must endure in our lives.  A time and season for everything under heaven.

Before I forget, one more thing...my absolute favorite thing about starting a new year is purchasing a brand new prayer journal and scripture memory book. 


I close today with a powerful statement..... If you are a scripture memory note card taking girl like me get this one jotted down.

"I have chosen the way of ...truth and faithfulness!" Psalm 119:30 

My new years prayer above is wrote front page and center in my new pink prayer journal.

This verse is now my fourth verse in the little pink journal for me to memorize today.

Next time we'll be discussing my second resolution..Keep My Head on Straight!

I cannot wait!

In the mighty name of Jesus, ~Melanie

endnotes:  NIV Study Bible, KJV Study Bible, Vine's Dictionary of Bible Words, Strong's Exhaustive Concordance